CAFI Previous Awards
2014-15 Academic Year
The Committee selected four awardees from among 7 proposals submitted.
- Diana Darby, Director of Communications and Marketing, SUNY Cobleskill, for “Cross-Cultural Visual Media-Hungary” to be offered in the Summer 2015
- Jena Nicols Curtis, Associate Professor of Health, SUNY Cortland, for “Undergraduate Field Research to Investigate Heath Disparities in India” to be offered in the Summer 2015
- David Bugg, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, SUNY Potsdam, for “Human Trafficking in Cambodia” to be offered in Winter2014/2015
- Christopher Robbins, Assistant Professor, Department of Art and Design, Sculpture/3D, SUNY Purchase, for “Benin, West Africa – Blacksmithing and Build Your Own Forge” to be offered in winter 2014/2015
2013-14 Academic Year
The Committee selected five awardees from among 8 proposals submitted.
- Lora G. Lunt, Associate Professor, Department of Modern Languages, SUNY Potsdam, for “Morocco Intercultural Exchange: Women & Democratization”
- Orvil L. White, Assistant Professor, Department of Childhood and Early Childhood Education, SUNY Cortland, for “Teach in Thailand: An Internship in Teaching Across Cultures”
- Robert Compton, Chair, Department of Africana and Latino Studies, SUNY Oneonta, for “South Africa and the Quest for Justice and Social Cohesion: 20 Years after the End of Apartheid”
- Maria Montoya, Assistant Professor, Department of Foreign Languages and Literature, SUNY Oneonta, for “San Andres Island Teaching Abroad Experience (Colombia)”
2012-13 Academic Year
The Committee selected five awardees from among 17 proposals submitted.
- Dale Tuggy, Assistant Professor, Department of Philosophy, SUNY Fredonia, for "Global Philosophy of Religion (India)"
- Jeremy van Blommestein, Associate Professor, Department of Sociology, SUNY Potsdam, for "Struggles of Change: South African and U.S. Education in Global Times"
- Paula Moore, Associate Professor, Department of Nursing, Tomkins Cortland Community College, for "International Internship in Health Care Education in Nicaragua"
- Meredith Weiss, Associate Professor, Department of Political Science, University at Albany, for "Diversity and Development in Southeast Asia (Malaysia)"
- Peter F. Biehl, Associate Professor and Department Chair, Department of Anthropology, University at Buffalo, for "The Podgori Archaeological Field School in Albania"
2011-12 Academic Year
The Committee selected nine awardees from among 20 proposals submitted.
- Kodjo Adabra, Department of Languages and Literatures, SUNY Geneseo for “Senegal Summer Study: Contemporary Civilization” in Senegal;
- Jan Factor, Department of Biology, Purchase College for “Coral Reef Biology and Ecology” in Honduras;
- Debra Fromm Faria, Department of Social Work, College at Brockport, for “Integrative Approaches to Global Social Work” in Russia;
- Lisa Glidden, Department of Political Science, SUNY Oswego, for “Crafting Sustainable Communities” in Ecuador;
- Marjorie C. Miller, Philosophy Board of Study, Asian Studies Board of Study, Purchase College for “Buddhist Philosophy, Art and Culture in Dharamsala, India” in India:
- Jean Ouedraogo, Foreign Languages and Literature, SUNY Plattsburgh for “Deaf Culture and Literacy in Burkina through film and ASL” in Burkina Faso;
- Veronica Perera, Department of Sociology, Purchase College for “Social Activism and Human Rights in Argentina approaches to global social work” in Argentina;
- Carmen Rivera, Department Modern Languages and Literatures, SUNY Fredonia, for “Thematic International Education Seminars, T.I.E.S.” in Puebla, Mexico;
- Amy Warcup, Department of Physical Education and Integrated Health, Finger Lakes Community College, for “Thai Massage Study Abroad Course” in Chiang Mai, Thailand;
From 2006 to 2010
There were no competitions during these years.
2005-06 Academic Year
The Committee selected twelve awardees from among 35 proposals submitted.
- John Frederick Bailyn, Stony Brook University. The East-West Initiative in Interdisciplinary Studies. Russia
- Michael Cavanagh, SUNY Brockport. Correspondent Journalism in the Post-Soviet World. Czech Republic
- Jeremiah Donovan, SUNY Cortland. China Summer Study: History, Culture and the Arts. China
More information on China Summer Study.
- Sema Dube, SUNYIT. Globalization and International Business from a Turkish Perspective. Turkey
- Maria S. Horne, University at Buffalo. Theatre, Cultures and Civilization in Romania. Romania
More information on Theatre, Cultures and Civilization in Romania.
- Kim Irvine, University at Buffalo. Sustainable Development Issues in Cambodia. Cambodia
- Zhongchun Jiang, SUNY Cobleskill. Agriculture Study Tour in the Country of 1.3 Billion People. China
More information on Agriculture Study Tour in the Country.
- D. Joseph Mook, University at Buffalo. Intensive Engineering Program in Thailand. Thailand
More information on Intensive Engineering Program in Thailand.
- Jean Ouedraogo, SUNY Plattsburgh. Language and Culture Immersion in Latin America. Martinique
- Richard D.C. Trainer, Nassau Community College. An Economy in Transition from Central Planning to Market and Beyond. Poland
- Christine Tuaillon, Nassau Community College. Bio 219: Field Ecology of Ethiopia. Ethiopia
- Scott Turner, College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse. The ESF Global Campus in Africa. Namibia
2004-05 Academic Year
There was no competition for this year.
2003-04 Academic Year
The first competition for the Chancellor's Award for Internationalization was held in fall 2003 for faculty lead short term projects to take place in summer 2004. There were 75 proposals submitted by faculty from across the State University.
- Marsha Baxter and Patricia Riley, SUNY Potsdam. Spanish Immersion - Music Teaching Practicum. Mexico
- Don Boros and Qianghua Wang, Binghamton University. The Total Theatre of Chinese Opera. China
- Michael M. Brescia, SUNY Fredonia. The Regional Dimensions of Globalization in Mexico: Multidisciplinary Perspectives and Historical Context. Mexico
- Theodore A. Endreny, College of Environmental Science and Forestry. Ecological Engineering in the Tropics. Honduras
- Robert F. Goeckel, SUNY Geneseo. Russian Politics and Civilization. Russia
- Richard J. Herdlein, University at Buffalo. Convergence of Cultures: Internationalization through the Balto - Slavic People of Estonia. Estonia
- Patrick McDevitt and Jason Young, University at Buffalo. Haiti: A Bicentennial Appreciation. Haiti
- Amy Mountcastle, SUNY Plattsburgh. Summer Immersion in Croatian Language and Culture. Croatia
- Samuel M. Paley, University at Buffalo. Practicum in Field Archaeology - The Alishar Regional Project at Cadir Hoyuk and its Environs. Turkey
- John Stone, University at Buffalo. Rehabilitation in Brazil. Brazil
- Laura Terriquez Kasey, Binghamton University. Improving the Health of the Community. Dominican Republic